JUSTIFY YOUR ATTENDANCE
Need Help Convincing Your Boss to Attend?
Getting attendance approval from your manager is sometimes a challenge. This page contains tools and suggestions on how to make your case effectively. In fact, we’ve created an easy letter template you can use to justify how attending LightShow West can benefit your organization.
Really want to attend? Use these guidelines!
When you propose attending LightShow West, it is important to focus on what you will bring back to your organization. To demonstrate return on the investment of attending a conference, use these benefits guidelines.
Gain Knowledge From the Educational Program
- State your organization’s specific goals or needs, and then state how specific components of the conference will help meet those needs.
- Which topic tracks or specific sessions have particular relevance to your department’s or organization’s current priorities and goals? Are there sessions that will provide insight into a particular challenge or goal your organization is facing right now, or expects to face in the next 12 months? Identify specifically what you can use, and how.
- Which of the sessions are most relevant to your professional development goals or your organization’s expectations of you? What new skill(s) or approach(es) will you bring back?
Be sure to state how attending will allow you to meet and interact with industry professionals in similar roles and organizations from around the country. You will be able to take the pulse of what your peer organizations are talking about and planning for, and how they are accomplishing specific goals.
Exhibit Hall Benefits
- Visiting with vendors and attending product demonstrations will allow you to gain a broader perspective of the tools and solutions available to you and your company.
- Note that this is also an opportunity to collect first-hand information, compare competing products and gain knowledge of the companies you may be interested in evaluating.
- Having vendors in one place at one time is the most efficient and cost-effective way to evaluate product offerings.
After the conference is the perfect time to explain that attending LightShow West was beneficial not only for you as a professional, but for your company as a whole. This also helps to ensure that you will be able to attend in the future. One technique that is used by a number of attendees is the use of a Conference Report. A Conference Report states information about the conference for anyone who wasn’t able to attend. You may use this information to teach others, or simply give further justification to your manager. Examples of information that may be included in the report are:
- General conference information
- Presentation summaries
- General Session summaries
- Concurrent Session summaries
- Networking Event summaries
- Vendor Presentation summaries
- Information about products gathered from conversations with vendors in the Exhibit Hall
- Ideas to be used upon returning from the conference